August 21, 2017

Pastel Hugs

Working with a sketch always makes me happy. I watched a video by Yana Smakula about using an embossing folder as a stamp. So I tried it combining the technique with our sketch challenge this week at Crazy 4 Challenges.

c4c pastel hugs

I used similar soft ink colours from Altenew with a folder from Spellbinders. The first try I got a gorgeous background but it was too bright for what I was trying to achieve. In the end I used only the lightest of the inks from 3 collections, blush, pink diamond and buttercream. To do this technique, you spread the inks randomly over the more solid surfaced side of the folder. Spritz the inks with water until they pool up. It might require more water than you’d think. Then add Bristol or watercolour paper and close the folder. To get a good impression, press well or use a brayer to add moderate pressure. The goal is to get a good impression with the ink but not with the ridges of the folder.

I wanted something light and fluffy at the top when I remembered about a fringe die I bought but hadn’t used. I didn’t have the right colours so I used white and very, very delicately inked it with matching colours. Then I added some lace and sewed it on with gold thread. For the three elements on the sketch, I tried a ton of embellies and flowers. In the send, I chose two layered flowers by Maggie Holmes and two Prima pearl clusters. A die cut and layered Hugs die cut with the same colours, just a bit darker, inked on it and a few sequins finished it off.

Join us for this fun sketch this week! It’s open until Friday at midnight when we post our next challenge.

Enjoy, Rebecca

No comments: