April 24, 2016

Spring Flowers for Crazy 4 Challenges

My challenge for this week was to use spring flowers. As in ‘April showers bring May flowers’. It’s not quite May and spring has been very slow to arrive here in southern Ontario but close enough! I’m always so anxious for spring!

magnolia symp

I think this may be one of the prettiest cards I’ve ever made! I looked up magnolias and most of them have a bright colour on the underside of the petals. I mixed some watercolour paint, orange with a purplish pink. The blend makes a more muted colour than using a straight pinkish coral, which was the look I wanted. I left some of the paint more concentrated and another batch more watered down. So once I embossed the Altenew image with gold embossing powder and I figured out which parts of the image were which, I added water to the areas I considered the tops of the petals and dropped in a tiny bit of the more watered-down paint nearest the center of the flower and allowed the colour to spread and dry on it’s own. For the underside, I painted the stronger colour on then once it was dry I added some more for shading.

magnolia symp2

The leaves were done in the same way as the tops of the petals; I added some water then dabbed on some colour at the end where the stem would be and allowed it to spread. The background was stamped with Antique linen Distress ink using an old SU! background stamp. I wanted to highlight the area behind the flowers so I airbrushed in some soft green Copic marker. (I made this card several more times since and I added some light brown airbrushing too.) The Impression Obsession sentiment was die cut from cardstock and embossed. Last but not least, I added lots of lovely sequins from Lucy’s Little Things.

You have to visit the Crazy 4 Challenges blog to see all the fabulous designs the team has created! I hope you decide to play along!

Enjoy, Rebecca

No comments: