April 23, 2009

Shaped Card Tutorial

I got a comment from a friend saying she wanted more clarification on how I did the card back for this card. If you notice, there is no flat area where my card is folded. That is because it is made in two pieces, therefore there is no fold. This tutorial will work for any shape you want to make. If you don’t teacup challengemind a flat area, then by all means, fold your card the traditional way and cut out after folding. However, one small advantage to this way; I noticed that my Cuttlebug and Nestabilities really didn’t like to cut through 2 layers at once (I nearly gave up cranking it because it was so stiff!) and the edge wasn’t perfect. Seems when you cut through two layers you get little paper bits stuck to the main shape, small but annoying. There were lots of areas I had to sand to get a smooth edge. If you cut the layers separately, no such problem. It was also very easy to emboss the card front this way.

Step 1. Cut two of your card base shape.
Step 2. Decorate your card front as desired.
Step 3. Decide where you want your card ‘fold’ to be. On this card, it was at the top just like a standard folded card. Score about 3/8” to 1/2” on the card back only. Fold with bone folder.
Step 4. Apply adhesive to the folded edge and apply to the card front. I didn’t do another card for this tutorial but I took a couple of photos of the card I made so you can see the back.
shaped tut 1
shaped tut 2

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE see original card post.

1 comment:

Yvette said...

Wow! I love this card, the colours you used and this tutorial. Thanks a bunch!!!