January 23, 2009

Asian Technique Challenge Card

This week's technique challenge was really cool, Faux Mosaic. You tear or cut paper into small pieces, cover a piece of cardstock with redline adhesive, assemble the pieces and heat emboss the remaining adhesive. You have to check out the gallery as there are so many options! I saw pieces cut into tiny perfect squares with a punch and arranged like a Mediterranean tiled wall mosaic creating a picture, one done with polished stone technique paper so it looks like marble tile and others where punched shapes were used. 
asian tech2
I used a gorgeous green gold-foiled paper, cut it into random shapes and embossed with gold EP. The Asian lantern was coloured with Copics and popped up on foam dots. In case you were wondering, the card isn't tilted strangely in the photograph. After placing my pieces of green paper, there were areas I hadn't fully covered with red line tape underneath so when I embossed, they were blank. As I trimmed to make the edges neat, I realized the edges weren't straight anymore. I decided to go with the unusual shape giving the card more character and not wasting any of the beautiful Faux Mosaic technique. It measures roughly 4.25x4.25". I found I had to really heat the EP for a long time to get a mostly smooth surface to the 'grout'. If you want it to be pebbled and textured, heat it lightly.  TLC204

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
retired Asian set (can't remember the name)
Paper: eggplant and celery CS, green foiled paper-UK
Ink: Adirondack black
Accessories: red line adhesive, gold EP, Asian coin-UK, foam dots, Copic markers, purple wire-UK (handle of lantern). All products SU! unless otherwise noted.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

hi rebecca, I will check with my husband about the wood, but you can't see it at all on the finished block, the greenish color you are seing is a green sheet of weathered DP! :) thanks for the heads up though

Kimmie said...

This is so absolutely beautiful! Great job!

Janna said...

REbecca this is really beautiful! I love the papers you used and coloring on your image is just gorgeous!

Smiles,
janna

Jody Morrow said...

Very pretty! :)